Iloperidone : Therapeutic uses, Dosage & Side Effects
Iloperidone is a second-generation atypical antipsychotic drug, used in treating schizophrenia in adults. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dose : 1-12 mg
Route : Oral
Plasma Half-life : 18–33 hours
Duration of action :
Bioavailability : 96%
Chemical formula : C24H27FN2O4
IUPAC name : 1-[4-[3-[4-(6-fluoro-1,2-benzoxazol-3-yl)piperidin-1-yl]propoxy]-3-methoxyphenyl]ethanone
Trade name : Fanapt, Fanapta, Zomaril
Therapeutic uses : Iloperidone has following usage :
- Primarily indicated as anti-psychotic drug for treating psychoses particularly Schizophrenia (generally first-line therapy).
- May be indicated for the treatment of bipolar disorder, mania.
Side effects : Iloperidone may produce following side effects:
- CNS ailments like Sedation, drowsiness, lethargy, mental confusion, increased appetite, weight gain
- CVS effects including Postural (orthostatic) hypotension, palpitation, inhibition of ejaculation
- Anticholinergic effects such as Dry mouth, blurring of vision, constipation, urinary incontinence
- Nausea, Vomiting,
- Rarely Hyperprolactinemia – amenorrhoea, infertility, galactorrhoea and gynaecomastia
- Rarely Extrapyramidal disturbances (extrapyramidal symptoms EPS) such as Parkinsonism, Acute muscular dystonias, Akathisia, Malignant neuroleptic syndrome, Tardive dyskinesia
- It should be used cautiously in patients with seizure disorders (since it may lower the seizure threshold)or those with an increased risk for seizures, such as withdrawal from alcohol.
For detailed query or in case of uncertainty, Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.