Atenolol is a adrenergic antagonist (β2-selective blocker), used to treat hypertension & coronary artery disease.
Dose: 50-100 mg
Duration of action:
Trade name: Tenormin, Betacard, Aten
Atenolol has following usage :
- Used to treat hypertension.
- Used to treat coronary heart disease, arrhythmias, and angina pectoris, and to treat or reduce the risk of heart complications following myocardial infarction.
- Can be used to treat Graves disease until anti-thyroid medication can take effect.
- The cardioselective β-blockers are useful in hypertensive patients with impaired pulmonary function.
- Cardioselective β-blockers are also first-line therapy for chronic stable angina.
Adverse effects of Atenolol are as follows:
- Cardiac failure,
- Cold extremities,
- Blurred vision.