Tigecycline : Therapeutic uses, Dosage & Side Effects
Tigecycline, a derivative of minocycline, is the first available member of the glycylcycline antimicrobial class.
Dose : 50 mg
Route : IV
Onset of action : ?
Plasma Half-life : ∼42 hours
Duration of action : ?
Bioavailability : ?
Plasma protein binding : 71–89%
Metabolism : Not metabolized
Pregnancy risk category : D
Chemical formula : C29H39N5O8
IUPAC name : N-[(5aR,6aS,7S,9Z,10aS)-9-[Amino(hydroxy)methylidene]-4,7-bis(dimethylamino)-1,10a,12-trihydroxy-8,10,11-trioxo-5,5a,6,6a,7,8,9,10,10a,11-decahydrotetracen-2-yl]-2-(tert-butylamino)acetamide
Trade name : Tygacil, GAR-936, Tigeplug
Antibacterial spectrum : Tigecycline is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. It is active against methicillin resistant staphylococci (MRSA), multidrug-resistant streptococci, vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE), extended-spectrum β-lactamase–producing gram-negative bacteria, Acinetobacter baumannii, and many anaerobic organisms. However, it is not active against Morganella, Proteus, Providencia, or Pseudomonas species.
Therapeutic uses : Tigecycline has following uses :
- It is indicated for the treatment of complicated skin and soft tissue infections, as well as complicated intra-abdominal infections.
- It is also used for community-acquired bacterial pneumonia.
It is recommended to use this drug in patients 18 years of age and older. It is not suitable for the treatment of diabetic foot infections.
Mechanism of action : Tigecycline blocks protein synthesis by reversibly binding to the 30S ribosomal subunit. It is a bacteriostatic drug.
Resistance : Tigecycline resistance is primarily attributed to overexpression of efflux pumps.
Side effects : Tigecycline may cause following side effects such as :
- Gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms : Nausea, vomiting
- Acute pancreatitis with fatality
- Elevations in liver enzymes & serum creatinine
- Photosensitivity, pseudotumor cerebri
- Discoloration of permanent teeth when used during tooth development
- Fetal harm when administered in pregnancy
- Irritation at injection site
- TigecyclineΧ Warfarin : May decrease the clearance of warfarin and increase prothrombin time Since both tigecycline and warfarin bind to serum or plasma proteins.
- TigecyclineΧ Oral Contraceptives : Decreased effectiveness of oral contraceptives.
- Contraindicated for use in patients who have known hypersensitivity to this drug.
Black Box Warning
FDA issued a black box warning in September 2010 for this regarding an increased risk of death compared to other appropriate treatment.
For detailed query or in case of uncertainty, Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.