Phenazopyridine : Therapeutic uses, Dosage & Side Effects
Phenazopyridine is an orange dye which exerts analgesic action in the urinary tract and affords symptomatic relief of burning sensation, dysuria and urgency due to cystitis.
Dose : 200-400 mg TDS
Route : Oral
Onset of action : ?
Plasma Half-life : ?
Duration of action : ?
Bioavailability : ?
Plasma protein binding : ?
Metabolism : ?
Pregnancy risk category : B
Chemical formula : C11H11N5
IUPAC name : 3-phenyldiazenylpyridine-2,6-diamine
Trade name : Pyridium, Azo-Gesic, Baridium, Nefrecil, Phenazodine, Pyridiate, Sedural, Uricalm, Uristat, Uropyrine, Urodine, Urogesic, Urovit
Antibacterial spectrum : It does not have antibacterial property.
Therapeutic uses : PhenazopyridineHCl, as local analgesic, is indicated for the only symptomatic relief of pain, burning, urgency, frequency, and other discomforts arising from irritation of the lower urinary tract mucosa caused by infection, trauma, surgery, endoscopic procedures, or the passage of sounds or catheters. Its use with anti microbials should not exceed 2 days as longer treatment may mask symptoms.
Mechanism of action : Phenazopyridine’s mechanism of action is not well known. It is known that the chemical has a direct topical analgesic effect on the mucosa lining of the urinary tract.
Side effects : Phenazopyridine may cause following side effects :
- Vivid color change in urine
- Headache, rash, pruritus
- Occasional gastrointestinal disturbance such as nausea, epigastric pain especially when not taken with food
- Rarely an anaphylactoid like reaction
- Pigment change in the skin or eyes
- Swelling of the face, fingers, feet, or legs.
- Methemoglobinemia, hemolytic anemia, renal and hepatic toxicity usually at overdosage levels.
Drug Interactions : Following mdications are known to interact with phenazopyridine :
- Amyl nitrite / sodium nitrite / sodium thiosulfate
- Contraindicated in patients who have previously exhibited hypersensitivity to it.
- Contraindicated in patients with renal insufficiency.
- Contraindicated in people with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency.
For detailed query or in case of uncertainty, Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.